Susan here with the August One-Layer Simplicity Challenge. Summer break is almost over here in the northern hemisphere (school starts for us August 11!), but it sure doesn't feel like it in this Ohio heat. That makes it a perfect month to stay inside and make art.
There are three ways to play along with our August Art challenge:
1. Use art-supply themed images or art-related sentiment stamps.
2. Be inspired by a work of art. (If you choose this, please include a link to your inspiration piece in your post.)
3. Use a fine-art supply or technique on your card. Supplies you might use include watercolors, watercolor pencils, acrylic paint, texture medium, pastels, gesso, charcoal, or some other fine-art supply. Techniques you might use include printmaking, stenciling, spatter painting, pointillism, mosaic, gilding, and so on.
Remember to keep your card to a single layer of cardstock (or watercolor paper).
My card combines two of the three ways to play along with this challenge. The sentiment is art-themed, and the supply and technique are watercolor pencil and wash. The card base is also watercolor paper.
To make the card, I masked the card base (made of watercolor paper) and stamped half the butterfly from Hero Arts Antique Engravings in Hero Arts intense black ink. Using a stamp positioner, I placed the sentiment (a wood-mounted rubber stamp from Inkadinkado) beside the butterfly.
After coloring in the image lightly with Prismacolor Copenhagen and Derwent sap green watercolor pencils, I wet a large wash brush in water, dabbed it on a Bounty paper towel to remove most of the water, and dragged it across the butterfly a few times to blend the pencil.
1. A one-layer card is defined as a single piece of card stock folded in half. No other layers of paper allowed.
2. Make an art-themed card, an art-inspired card, a card using fine-art supplies, or a card using a fine-art technique. Remember to keep embellishments to a minimum.
3. Post your card online somewhere and link to it using the InLink button below. If linking to your blog, remember to link to the individual post so we can find your entry easily. (Also note that some people have been linking to Instagram but those of us without Instagram accounts cannot comment.)
4. The challenge will run through August 24, 2016, at midnight eastern daylight time.
5. The most important rule of all...HAVE FUN!
Oh my--I love your creation, Susan! The wash is absolutely beautiful--wouldn't have known you could do it that way! Can't wait to play along--thanks for inspiring me!ReplyDelete
Thanks, Greta. I'm eager to see what you come up with!Delete
Such a pretty card, Susan.ReplyDelete
I already have my thinking cap on. Thanks for the inspiration.
Oh, let's see what happens under that thinking cap!Delete
Gorgeous one layer art card with the prettiest of colours on that wash xReplyDelete
Thank you. Green and blue are my favorites!Delete
Love your card, Susan! Thank you for the inspiration! Wanted to play early on and almost didn't make it lol! :o)ReplyDelete
Oh bummer--didn't get my card made until today, but I'll play again next month, hopefully.ReplyDelete
Wow what a great set of cards!ReplyDelete